Thursday, November 18, 2010

Chicken Breast

Disclaimer: this is me getting on my soapbox, and I won't get off. Now, I'm not some crazy girl that wants to be a vegetarian (I LOVE meat.). BUT something's up with our food. Have y'all seen Food, Inc.? Just an incredible, interesting documentary. I've got a friend at church whose cousin is one of those chicken farmers. She says, yep, that's how it really is. And I somehow remember my grandfather saying, when I was young, "The chicken will kill us all one day. They grow 'em too fast and too big." I was terrified and didn't know what that meant. But I tucked it inside my memory. He's a very educated, vegetable-growing pharmacist. Now I know what he's talking about.
I've only really been cooking since I was a senior at Lipscomb. Since that short time, I've watched the chicken breasts that I buy grow and grow. Well last night topped it all. I got my boneless, skinless breasts on sale for $1.79/lb. I was cutting the fat off, and could NOT get over the size of these breasts! We're way past double D here. I had to take a picture to show the monstrosity of it. This is ONE chicken breast. The past year or so I've had to fillet them because of their size. And it got worse in the next package! I had to quarter one sucker!!
So, what's a girl to do? The nearest whole foods type place is over 1/2 an hour away. Not real eager to "run to the store." Do I save chicken for special occasions and get the "organic," $6.99/lb chicken??? I'm afraid my beloved government is letting me down.

3 comments:

Angie said...

I watched a show about chicken farming once, and it made me skeptical, too. I think about it every time I buy chicken at the store.

Jillina said...

I watched an Oprah on this and have been eying all our meat and eggs differently. We have actually started cutting back on the amt of meat we eat around here.

Tiffany Ann said...

Well I've pretty much become a vegetarian because I don't really know anymore what I am eating but I have started doing this I buy the organic chicken at kroger and for two breast it is pretty expensive but I put one in the crock pot and it will usually feed 2. I like it shredded anyways and it's great for casseroles and tacos that way.