Saturday, May 15, 2010

May in 5th Grade

May is insane at school. Among all the fun, last-year things we do for our 5th graders is the ABC Countdown. Each day is a letter, working our way down to Z (Zee End!). This is a picture of Funky Clothes/Hair Day. They just looked awesome!!! I loved how these students went all out. =) And amid these students are 4 that colored their hair! =)
Some of my favorite people on Field Day. Today was the first-ever FLARE competition. We're teaching kids how to use renewable energy. The elementary division was creating solar cookers. There were about 22 teams in our division. I took 3 from Winn Holt. This team is The Braniacs.They made vegetarian lasagna. (I decided to go with meatless items juuuust to be on the safe side.) We were judged on both the design and the tastiness of the food.The Silver KnightsThey made turtle brownies: choc chips, marshmallows, pecans, and caramel topping. Unfortunately when the judges came for the taste-testing, we had to serve half-cooked brownie batter. =( It was still yummy, though! Who doesn't like brownie batter?! My 3rd team: the Golden Chefs. These kiddos are actually in my class. I had another, but she had a soccer tournament today.It was so hot, so hot, so hot! We got starting cooking around 9:30, once everyone was checked in, and the area was decorated. Judges came around to check out the design, and then around 12:20 they came to sample our food.Here are the judges sampling the Golden Chefs' award-winning vegetarian quesadillas!!! I was so excited; this team placed third! Yea!! =)

3 comments:

Tiffany Ann said...

You are such a good teacher!!! I cannot believe you guys did all of that! Bet you are ready for summer!

Stephanie and Chris Hunnicutt said...

I love the pics! You have had a very busy May and it isn't even over! I can't wait for this Friday!

Jillina said...

Wow!! You are busy!! And such a good teacher!!!